Sold for Sex
Nebraska Public Media News reporting project on sex trafficking in Nebraska
“It's really not that hard to buy and sell a human being in the state of Nebraska.”
--Rachel Pointer, Sex Trafficking Survivor
Somewhere in Nebraska, right now, there’s sex for sale. Experts believe a lot of the time this isn’t prostitution. It’s someone being trafficked through what’s legally defined as “force, fraud or coercion.” It’s an ugly industry whose victims are mostly women and often children.
Two 30 minute Nebraska Public Media News documentaries examine sex trafficking in Nebraska.
Examines how trafficking happens in the state, the fight to stop it and what is being done to help victims. This 2017 program includes:
- An overview of new research by Creighton University researchers on commercial sex trade and trafficking in Nebraska.
- A look at trafficking in rural Nebraska.
- The story of Rachel Pointer, an Omaha woman who was first sold for sex when she was 6-years-old.
- An interview with a convicted sex trafficker.
- A look at how law enforcement fights trafficking.
- Information on the efforts of the Nebraska Attorney General's Human Trafficking Task Force.
Focuses on women who have been trafficked. This program includes:
- The powerful stories of three different Nebraska trafficking survivors.
- Interviews with experts on how people become trafficking victims, and why the crime is often not reported or punished.
- Perspective from more than 20 Nebraska trafficking survivors compiled for a new report.
Additional Video Segments
Anna Brewer on How Trafficking Happens
Stephen O'Meara on Fighting Trafficking
Trafficking in Rural Nebraska
Research on Nebraska's Commercial Sex Industry
A Trafficker's Perspective; Ramon Heredia
More Nebraska Public Media News "Sold for Sex" stories
- How the Backpage Shutdown Impacted the Commercial Sex Industry and Trafficking (8/2018)
- What's Working, What's Still Needed in Nebraska's Fight Against Human Trafficking (7/2018)
- "It Happens Virtually Anywhere": Sex Trafficking Plagues Rural America (also for Here and Now, 6/2017)
- Sex Trafficking in Small Towns, "It Happens Virtually Anywhere" (also for Harvest Public Media, 3/2017)
- Trafficked, By Her Boyfriend; Sakura's Story (2/2017)
- How "Laura's" Chicago Trip Turned Into Sex Trafficking (2/2017)
- Sex Trafficking Bill Introduced in Legislature (1/2017)
- Convicted Trafficker Talks About How He Recruited Women and Girls (1/2017)
- Former FBI Agent Discusses How Trafficking Happens in Nebraska (1/2017)
- New Documentary on Sex Trafficking Previewed (1/2017)
- New Research Provides Important Information on Nebraska’s Commercial Sex Industry and Trafficking (12/2016)
- A Business Fighting Trafficking In India, and its Connection to Creighton University (11/2016)
- Sold for Sex for 10 Years, Starting at Age 6 (10/2016)
- Report Provides Victim's Perspective on Sex Trafficking (7/2016)
- Sex Trafficking Happens in Nebraska's Smaller Towns (6/2016)
- Fighting Sex Trafficking In Nebraska: What’s Lacking And A New Plan (10/2015)
- Nebraska Attorney General Names Human Trafficking Coordinator (6/2015)
- New Effort To Fight Sex Trafficking: Training Hotel Workers (5/2015)
- Sex Trafficking Haunts Nebraska Events (6/2014)