Patchwork on the Plains: Nebraska's Barn Quilt Culture
Air Date: 03/04/2017
More than just a place to store equipment or house livestock, a Nebraska barn can be a big canvas and space that begs for adornment. In this documentary, see how barn quilts are preserving history, commemorating families, and promoting small-town pride and patriotism. Travel across Nebraska to meet the people behind these colorfully painted quilts, and hear how the art inspires our state.
The documentary features barn quilts from the following counties: Thurston, Cass, Gage, Seward, Fillmore, Saline, Dawson, Nemaha, Clay, and Nuckolls. Using data found from related links, the map below features barn quilt locations that can be found throughout Nebraska. Take a scenic drive to discover these roadside gems—colorful quilt designs painted on barns—perfect for an afternoon escape.
- Barn Quilts of Cass County
- Barn Quilts of Dawson County
- Barn Quilts of Filmore County
- Barn Quilts of Gage County: Fairgrounds Barn Quilt Trail
- Barn Quilts of Thurston County: Pender
- Barn Quilts of Webster County
- National Park Service: Quilt Discovery Experience
- National Park Service: Barn Quilt Quest
- Nebraska Barn Quilt Trail Map
- Pinterest: Barn Quilt Patterns
- Southeast Nebraska: Barn Quilts
- wikiHow: How to Paint a Barn Quilt