Nebraskans Can Now Apply for Tax Breaks on Flooded Property

June 5, 2019, 5:27 p.m. ·

The Missouri River flooded these houses in Peru, Nebraska in March (Photo by Fred Knapp, NET News)

Nebraskans whose homes, businesses or farms were destroyed or significantly damaged by flooding or other natural disasters, can now apply to not pay property taxes on the value of the property they lost. Residents can submit a form to their counties to report losses. To get a break for losses this year, those losses have to have occurred before July 1. Copies of the form are available at county assessor’s or county clerk’s offices, on the Department of Revenue’s website, or here.