Listen To This Story
Nebraska’s three congressional representatives have voiced disappointment over Tuesday’s ouster of Kevin McCarthy as Speaker of the House.
All of the House Democrats, along with eight Republicans led by Florida Rep. Matt Gaetz, voted to remove McCarthy from the role.
Representative Adrian Smith, who represents Nebraska’s third district, said the House now has to vote on a new speaker, which tables all other business.
“We now have this pause, this interruption, this distraction that we have to deal with,” Smith said. “I wish it weren't this way. But we have to deal with it. Let’s move forward and hopefully be better for it.”
He said he believes it won’t be easier for the next Speaker of the House. It took McCarthy 15 rounds of votes in January to secure the position.
In a Facebook post, Congressman Don Bacon, who represents the second district, said the House has major business to deal with, including the budget, the Farm Bill, the Defense Bill, and a border issue.
"Today was a good day for Russia and China… but not for America," Bacon said in the post.
After Rep. McCarthy’s announcement that he will not run for Speaker again, 1st District Representative Mike Flood thanked Kevin McCarthy in a press release for his work as Speaker of the House.
“His leadership has helped change how Washington does business, and his legacy has laid extraordinary groundwork for conservatives to build on in the coming months and years,” Flood said in the release.
Representatives are expected to vote on a new speaker next week. Congressmen Steve Scalise of Louisiana and Jim Jordan of Ohio have so far announced their candidacies.
Get the latest from around Nebraska delivered to your inbox