Nebraska Pauses J&J Vaccine, Douglas County Health Director Says Good Move
By Jack Williams , Managing Editor and Reporter Nebraska Public Media News
April 13, 2021, 11:17 a.m. ·
The Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services is pausing the use of the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine after the CDC and FDA recommended the move Tuesday. Federal health officials are investigating six cases of blood clots in women between the ages of 18-48 who were given the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, including one in Douglas County.
“It is a good news story because it tells us that everyone is really conscientious to look at adverse side effects, reporting them immediately and if a case should happen, that the proper recommendations are being made,” Douglas County Health Director Dr. Adi Pour told County Commissioners on Tuesday.
Pour also said Douglas County saw 194 new COVID-19 cases last week, a 16% jump compared to the week before.
“54 of those 194 cases were increases in the 20-29 years old, 41 cases 30-39 and 25 cases 40-49,” Pour said. “58% of the increases that we saw last week we between 20 and 49 years of age.”
Pour said Douglas County has recorded no COVID-related deaths so far in April but that hospitalizations have increase more than 50% over the last two weeks. More than 40,000 COVID-19 vaccines were administered Monday in Nebraska, a one-day record for the state. The previous record was just under 30,000 vaccinations.