Hundreds Welcome Home Fallen Marine Killed In Afghanistan

Sept. 10, 2021, 4:28 p.m. ·

Listen To This Story

A Marine from Omaha, who was killed in Afghanistan two weeks ago returned home Friday. Corporal Daegan Page, who grew up in the Millard area, arrived at Eppley Airfield on a military flight and was taken by police escort to a funeral home in Millard.

The motorcade was escorted by Omaha police officers and state troopers drove along a route near the CHI Center in Omaha. Hundreds of people pitched tents, sat on chairs, and waved flags on the side streets to welcome the hero home.

Family, veterans, and strangers came to celebrate Cpl. Page’s life. Veteran Harold J. Wright was one of the many veterans who paid his respects to Page. Wright’s father and younger brother are both Purple Heart veterans, like Page.

“I have a deep respect for those that have actually been in combat, on the line,” Wright said. “I think it's good that people are paying respect and remembering them and giving them honor for their service.”

Two men sit in chairs outside
Veteran Harold J. Wright's son (right) drove them to Omaha from Papillion to pay their respects to Cpl. Daegan Page. (Photo by Melissa Rosales, Nebraska Public Media News)

Cpl. Page was only 23 years old when he was awarded the Purple Heart, after a terrorist bombing at the gate to the airport in Kabul killed him and 12 other service members August 26th. He was there as part of a military mission to rescue Americans and Afghan allies after the sudden collapse of the government there to Taliban forces.

Jada Ready said she has a good friend who was in the same graduating class as Page at Millard South High School. Ready also has a cousin who was in the Marines and served three tours in Afghanistan. She said it “hits close to home,” so she handmade two signs, raised them high as the motorcade passed by, and showed him her support.

“I kind of took a lot of time on these [signs], because it meant a lot to me being the same age,” she said.

Old man in military uniform drives a red motorcycle with an American Flag behind him.
About 600 bikers from different groups, including Iowa, continued the procession. (Photo by Melissa Rosales, Nebraska Public Media News)

There was silence as the motorcade passed by. As quickly as the procession ended, people stood up, gathered their signs, rolled up their flags, and wiped their tears.

After the procession seemingly ended, 600 bikers from different groups gathered to continue a longer procession.

Cpl. Page’s funeral will be next Friday at St. Paul Lutheran Church in Millard.