Early Days & the Building
KUON-TV Channel 12 begin operating November 1, 1954 using studios and equipment of commercial television station KOLN-TV, Channel 10, Lincoln. The station was only on in the mornings in the early days. In 1956, the Board of Regents of the University of Nebraska assumed control of the KUON-TV Channel 12 license. In 1957, the operation moved to the Temple Building, City Campus. In 1969, land at 1800 North 33rd Street adjacent to East Campus was acquired for a new center of operations. Ground was broken in 1970 and the building was dedicated June 4, 1972.