Screenings & Events
Nebraska Public Media hosts many virtual and in-person events for families and children!
Stay informed about future events by signing up for our Smart Scoop newsletter.
Hero Elementary Virtual Family Science Event
Tuesday, June 22, 2021
This online event screened an episode of the PBS KIDS series Hero Elementary and did simple science experiments led by Nebraska’s Lead PBS Digital Innovator Allison Pontious of Oakdale Elementary in Omaha.
Here are the instructions for the three science experiments featured in this event:
- Walking Water - we added one more color, which meant two more cups, in our version!
- Skittles Experiment
- Soap Experiment - also with bonus instructions on how to make artwork with your soap!
- 1 notebook for writing down your observations
- 1 pen or pencil
- Room temperature water
- Hot water
- 5 clear plastic or glass cups
- 4 paper towels
- Red, blue, and yellow liquid food coloring
- 1 bag of Skittles
- 2 large heat-safe plates
- 1 bar of Ivory soap. Be sure to use Ivory brand, because other brands will not work!
If you want to practice your powers of observation, be sure to download the new Hero Elementary game “Operation Investigation.” Children and parents can help Sparks’ Crew find the best sidekick for Fur Blur while investigating, comparing and learning about animals. Download the game for free at the App Store or Google Play.